Saturday, October 23, 2010

iPad and Internet Bandwidth


Almost two months ago, I purchased an iPad with 3G for MIT use. It has been a great help to me. The lack of a USB port and Flash, though concerning, are not significant reasons to avoid purchasing the iPad. I very much recommend the iPad as a productivity tool in academics and business.

The 3G includes 2 GB of bandwidth each month ($25). I have never kept track of my home usage of Internet bandwidth and was surprised to learn during the first two months that I can easily stay within the limit as a single user.

With this knowledge, I am considering the purchase of a MiFi Mobile Hotspot. These devices include plans with a 5 GB limit limit ($60) that are equal in cost to land line phone and DSL. The speed is about the same as low-level DSL. The mobility is worth a great deal to me as I sometimes travel to places where connectivity is limited.

I have had so much trouble with the quality of cable and DSL Internet access in Nashua, NH that the MiFi Mobile Hotspot is beginning to look like an attractive option considering my typical usage is below 5 GB per month.

I do all of my calling using 3G cell. There is no longer a need for me to have a ground line for phone service.

No comments:

Post a Comment