Sunday, September 5, 2010

Prof. Paul S. Kim


It is with sadness that I republish this obituary (below) for Paul S. Kim, Professor and Chair of Political Science at Gannon University in Pennsylvania. Prof. Kim was my advisor. I learned a great deal from him.

For many years we exchanged Holiday cards. Recently, I had not heard from him and I was unaware that he had moved to Florida.

In future posts, I will recount some of the things that I learned from Prof. Kim in class, as my thesis advisor, and during informal visits after I had graduated.

This is from another blog post;


One of the best bits of advice that he gave me ... be extremely careful about writing anything that is outside of your academic discipline ... never assume that you completely understand an area that you have not formally studied.

OBITUARY

"Paul S. Kim, 82, of Hernando, Florida, died on Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2010. Born in Korea, he came to the U.S. in 1954 to receive education. Having received his B.A., M.A. and Ph.D degrees, he began to teach at colleges and universities in NJ and PA since 1964. As a professor and Chairman of Political Science Department, he taught many course at both undergraduate and graduate levels from 1966-1997. During his teaching career, he published one book, and had his many articles appear in well-known journals throughout the world. He and his wife moved to Hernando, Florida, in 2002.

He is survived by his beloved wife, Youngja Kim. His memorial service will be held at Beverly Hills Chapel of Hooper Funeral Homes on Thursday, Sept. 2, 2010, at 2:30 p.m. The family will receive friends one hour prior at the funeral home."
Published in Citrus County Chronicle from September 1 to September 5, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment