Thursday, September 16, 2010

My iPad (Part III) - The Situational Browser


As mentioned previously, I like my iPad very much except for the fact that I can not get Safari (the browser) to work in some situations. For example:

1. I can not email an article from the digital edition of the Wall Street Journal (or other online publications) using Safari.

2. I can not make entries to my blog, ingehygd.blogspot.com, using Safari.

3. I can not view Google Analytics to get some of my web statics.

Further, Apple advertises Safari for iPad as equivalent to the other applications of Safari. This is simply not true.

Given these limitations, I think Apple has created a new type of Internet device, the situational browser (Safari). It only works under certain conditions!

According to Apple, these issues will go away when web pages are converted to HTML 5.0. However, this diffusion is happening slowly.

The only other limitation of iPad is a lack of a USB port. However, there is a way to connect the iPad to an iMac and use the iTunes software for transfers and updates. This is a nice feature, if folks have an iMac!

No comments:

Post a Comment