Saturday, March 12, 2011

Report from Tsukuba-shi, Japan


During the past hour, I have received the following messages in succession (most recent first) via Facebook from a person who lives in Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki, Japan. This city is about 200 miles from Sendai, to the South and about 150 miles to Fukushima where the nuclear power plant is under an emergency:

"Government and TEPCO explain that although there was an explosion there's no leak in the power plan reactor."

"Water supply's been cut again in the city"

"Aftershock at Fukushima just now"

In Dec. I visited Tsukuba to give a presentation at NEC. It is a newly constructed city. The water shutoff probably means there is significant damage. I pass along my prayers for those at NEC that I know. They live in the same area.

Some of my friends are informally reporting that there are perhaps 10,000 dead. If this proves to be true, it would be much more human loss than the 1995 Kobe earthquake.

My heart goes out to the Japanese people.

No comments:

Post a Comment