Monday, March 7, 2011

A Critisism of the Semantic Web II


This post extends some of my previous comments from,


In 2003 while part of the early formation of The Data Center Program at MIT, I wrote about my misgivings concerning the direction of the semantic web.

Starting in the Spring, I conduced research on the semantic web, which at the time was hot news. By Fall 2003, I had a manuscript completed. In early 2004, I submitted the manuscript for consideration as part of the Logistics Educators' Conference. This group was supported by the Council for Supply Chain Management Professionals (CSCMP). At the time, the group went by the name Council for Logistics Management (CLM). The paper won the Plowman Award and was published in the Journal of Business Logistics in 2005.

This is the link to the JBL paper:


I think the criticisms listed in this paper continue to be valid today. At the time, several commented to me that it would be best to work inside the semantic web community. The truth is that our research used several standards developed by the W3C. It was our philosophy and approach that proved to be different.

However, more than 12 years since establishment, the semantic web is not in widespread use.

We hope that our technology, broadly called the M Language, will find success in agriculture where computer applications are just now being recognized as a core component for increasing productivity. Aggeos, Inc. is going forward with the implementation of the M Language.

No comments:

Post a Comment